Monday, March 10, 2008

Sunday swim

This morning I woke up feeling refreshed and pretty darn good, which for anyone who knows me, is a major coup. The first 10 min after I get out of bed are usually the worst for me, so if I can pop out of bed and feel pretty good, that's darn near cause for "breaking news" on the local stations. So anyway, I was cautiously optimistic that my long swim would be a good one. And, yep, what do you know, it was an awesome workout for me! We did some longer reps, which took some getting used to, but overall I felt super strong. One of my barometers for my workouts, but for swimming in particular, is how far I can get into a workout before my body gives up and my form falls apart. Well, today, I never really felt like I was pushing to the point where my form went out the window. And that was after 3500. Wow! That is absoultely huge for me, and I can now say with confidence that all the swimming I've been doing this winter is starting to pay off. To that end, I must give big-time credit to my fellow Team A+'ers Jessi and Tiffany. On many a Sunday, knowing that they would be at the pool (and might wonder where I was) was the one and only thing that got me out of bed. I still remember the first few workouts where I felt overwhelmed and out of my league, and having 2 stud swimmers to pull me along and encourage me without judging, well, that has been one of the real treats of this long winter. Team A1 seems like such a distant memory! Its all A+, all the time!!

We're legit now....what's next, tats? :)

Team A+: Let me tell you, these chicks ROCK!!

After the main swim set, Jessi, Tiffany, Steve and I hung around to practice our flip turns. It was a ton of fun! Except for the fact that when Jessi said we all needed to do them while swimming in a line, I decided to put my idiot hat on. For some reason, I thought we were back doing a main set, so I started out waaaay too close to Jessi's feet. Well, since I was so focused on getting my turn right, I totally forgot about where Jessi was, and as a result, we had a fantastic collision! I felt really bad about ripping Jessi's nail clean off...ouch! So, I think I'll forget about flip turns for awhile. I guess we are now "blood teammates" :) But, seriously, sorry Jessi.

4 comments:

jessithompson said...

I would agree that having you and Tiff there has made all the difference in the world in this swimming journey this winter. There were many times I hung in there longer and pushed myself harder because you two were there not only going nuts yourselves but also encouraging me.

It's great to have graduated together and keep on cheering for each other. You are a super star! A+ ALL THE TIME!!!

jessithompson said...

p.s. I think you forgot to mention the large slash down your side from my fingernail. SORRY!!! If only I could get off that wall completely straight... Proud to be blood brothers with you! And no, we're not forgetting about flip turns yet - we're just A1 flip turners for now... looking to be A+ soon ;) That'll be another post. Pictures will be a must!

Tiffany said...

I am SO with you on the whole getting up thing! I'm usually a bear when I have to get up early. Every Sunday, when I wake up for the swim, I contemplate not going and sleeping in. But then I know that you and Jessi will be there and will end up asking me where I was. It's a great motivator! I'm thrilled at the progress we have made this winter! It's been really cool to do it together as A1 first and now as A+. I love our gang sign! :)

I don't know what Jessi's talking about, but I don't even think I can call my self A1 with those flip turns! More like B- or C+! We'll have to keep working. I wish we had a picture of Jessi's nail and your back!!!

Steve said...

You guys are all very inspiring. It has been awesome to read how all three of you have advanced together. I am looking forward my opportunity to try the A1 lane. Someday :) Thanks for the advice during the flip turn workout and looking forward to the next swim.

Steve