Monday, March 10, 2008

Sunday ride

So, what started out as "I'm going to ride Sunday by myself" somehow turned into a really cool group ride. Jenn, Brian, Phaedra, Steve and a sick Roger (on his sick, new ride) all showed up at my house and we headed out for what we hoped was a sunny, warm ride. While it did warm up while I was climbing the big hill on Coulee Hite Rd, after that, I was teetering on the edge of being miserably cold, but I managed it ok. Roger, Phaedra and Steve turned around at the 1 hr point, so after we bade them farewell, Jenn, Brian and I pressed on shooting for the 25m mark. We hit the turnaround right at the 90 min mark, which I felt pretty good with, considering that it was mostly uphill going out, and this was only my second ride outside this year.


While it was great to be outside again riding, I didn't have my best ride ever. I always have a hard time fueling and hydrating properly when its cold out, and that hurt me today. Never a good sign to get hunger pangs while out on the bike. My gearing/shifting is also one area that has definitely suffered during the winter trainer-riding season, and I noticed it big-time today. I just wasn't very smooth on my shifting going up and down the hills. However, with all that said, I continue to be very happy with my overall bike fitness. I have really focused on putting in some serious time on the bike this winter, and I'm very excited to get into the racing season to see if/how it pays off.

** A little side note on the two IM rookies I'm working with this year, Jenn and Brian**
First, Jenn. She's tough as nails, and always impresses me with how she guts it out through some crazy workouts. There have been times when she's been maybe in over her head a bit, but she NEVER EVER backs down, always sucks it up, and goes for it. She is the true embodiment of an Ironman: she will never give up. I know that she is scared out of her mind at this whole IM thing, but I am so confident that she will have an awesome day. The training I have seen her put in has resulted in an absolutely phenomenal transformation. This time last year, if I had said, hey, lets go out and do 50 on the bike, she would have sent me straight to the nut house. But yesterday, she was the one who said, "Nope, 47 ain't good enough. Lets go somewhere that we can get a solid 50 in" Go Jenn Go!!!
And Brian. Wow, this kid really impressed me yesterday too. Ah, to have youth on your side! And he's taking full advantage of it. He smoked that bike, even keeping up with Roger the first part, and the best part was, he didn't fade down the stretch. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he's going to have an amazing IM debut as well.
Not that I consider myself a "coach" to these 2, but I will feel so proud to see them out there on June 22nd having great days!

1 comment:

Phaedra Cote said...

Thanks for a super ride Tim, and for towing me up that big hill :) I look forward to more group rides.....maybe I'll hang in longer next time.

See you soon!
Phaedra.