Monday, March 17, 2008

Weekend un-training

Well, another Monday, and another new NY Times crossword record! 7:55, which is now solidly faster than most of my IM transition times :) I'm going to keep that in mind this year when I'm slacking off in the transition tent!

This weekend was, as predicted, tough on my mind. To (hopefully) rid my body of any remaining nasty bugs from the previous week, I purposely did not do my planned workouts, except for an abbreviated swim Sunday morning with the club. In essence, my weekend was: LAZY. Which on the surface sounds nice, but in practice was very tough for me. Laziness begets laziness, and even though there were plenty of non-athletic things to do, once I got started down the path, I found it very hard to pull myself up out of it. As a result, it wasn't really the greatest of weekends. And as much as I love all of my training partners and hearing/reading about all their great adventures in HR elevation (races, group rides, bricks), I gotta tell you, it was kind of tough to know that I was forcing myself out of the game.

So now, I enter another tough stretch. That of being super-revved up to make up for lost time balanced with a smart, gradual return to life as an Ironman preparer. Physically, I'm feeling fine, but maybe a little tired overall, but now its the kind of tired you get when you aren't doing workouts, rather than the kind you get when you have done too many hard workouts. In hindsight, the shorter swim I did on Sunday may have worked to my advantage. I hung on in the fast lane again, and it was hard, hard, hard! Like, harder than I think it should have been. Analyzing it later, I attributed the difficulty to the fact that I'd taken a whole week off + the fact that I'd been sicker than I had been in a long time + lingering effects of said sickness + no fueling/hydrating/sleeping preparation. So, on the positive side, I think it may have killed any thoughts of jumping back into it full force. Which means that this week will be a slow progression back to it, with the hopes of having a solid, semi-intense weekend.

Tonight, I may allow myself a Guinness or two, cause, sheesh, St Paddy's Day only comes around once a year! So, here's to a happy Guinness day to all!!

6 comments:

jessithompson said...

Hang in there, buddy! Looking forward to having you back in the swing of things. Remember it's still a LONG season ahead, no stressin' about it all in March, eh? I know, though, it's tough to feel like you're losing what you work so hard to gain - even though in reality you're hardly losing anything at all. Tough on the mind!

A+ is hard core - so you'll be back to it in no time.

Phaedra Cote said...

Cheers Tim! Way to be smart and take care of yourself. We missed you this weekend at the DU but it was nice to see you on Sunday.

Good luck gettin' back in the swing!

Phaedra.

Steve said...

The fact that you understand rest can sometimes be better for you actually working out is very important. It would have been great to try and chase you down in the pool but if you don't hurry back Phaedra and I may catch ya. JK. Looking forward for you to getting back to working out.

Andy said...

Don't forget all of the Sudoko mind training you did this weekend! :D

Tiffany said...

Having to take time off can put a real damper on things, but being sick because you didn't let your body recuperate is even worse! At least you got sick right now instead of in May or early June right? You'll be back in the game in no time...I mean, you're on Team A+ for pete's sake! Hope you have a better week this week!

LORIE said...

You have me beat on the crossword. I am trying to become better at crosswords. Sudoko. . . .I can do. (probably because I am Asian :-))