Thursday, March 20, 2008

Thursday workouts

Today was the first time in awhile that I did 2 workouts, and it felt great. Since I'm getting ready for Ironman #3, I know that doing one workout per day just won't cut it, so lately I've been feeling like a slacker. But I also realize that I'm still in recovery mode from last week, so I just have to trust that my training will come around eventually, and that I need to be healthy for that to happen.

At lunch, I made it down to the pool and got a 45 min swim workout in, which is significant only because I did it all by myself...no one else to get me to the workout, no one to motivate me to do it. However, it turned out to be a tough swim. I knew I'd only have time to get in about 2000m, and the last 1000 felt like I was swimming in molasses! Oh well, the important thing was to get that second mid-week swim in, and I did it!

After work, I went up to the Gallagher's for the non-headlamp headlamp run. Thank goodness for daylight savings time!

Here's the crew sans lights.....
I was super happy that Andy decided to come along and run with the group, knowing that she was probably nervous about running with the triathletes and being too slow to run with us. But she did it, found some great company to run with, and had an awesome time. See, she's smiling!!

I am very proud of Andy for taking a leap and getting out there!
My run was darn tough, but a good one to kind of shock my system back into running. I ran with Jessi, Steve Rupe and Jeff Blackwell. When we started, Jessi said she was going to do a 45 min steady run, which, eventually resembled our Sunday swims....I was hanging on for dear life. Meanwhile, Jeff, Jessi and Steve were chatting as if they were hanging out at Starbucks. But, really, I'm so glad I decided to hang with them, because I absolutely love running with faster people and putting in some solid miles. It was also a good barometer of my running fitness, which, duh, sucks right now. So, now I know what I need to work on!
Even after the gut-buster, I did manage a smile or two.... :)
The best workout partner in the world.....thanks AP for coming!!!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

Nice job on those workouts, Tim! Kind of funny to feel like a slacker when you only work out once in a day, but such is the life of an Ironman I suppose! That is so awesome that Andy came to the the HLR! I've been trying to persuade my hubby for quite some time now, but to no avail!

jessithompson said...

Fun to see you both there - thanks for the run, too. We all got pushed thanks to Jeff "My Legs Have Wings" Blackwell. Good times!

Andy said...

Thanks for the motivation to get out the door!

Anonymous said...

Way to go on getting back in the groove of things! I am glad that you and Andy are both feeling better. It was a great run and I am so glad Andy came to run with us! She told me on Sunday that she would come again...so hold her to it :)