Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Catching up...."weekend" training

How wonderful would it be if our weekends actually ran from Thursday through Tuesday?

Even if that's just wishful thinking, for some reason, my Thurs-Tues stretch sort of felt like a long weekend of workouts.

Thursday was one of those damn tough workout days that I am confident I will be going back to mentally during races to give me a little bit of inner motivation. At least my psyche was helped by the fact that the weather was gorgeous, sunny and in the 80s with very little wind. After work, a few of the EWU Tri Club guys showed me thru the bike course for the upcoming EWU IronEagle sprint race, and we knocked out 10m at a nice 21.4mph average. I then headed out solo onto the Troika bike course bound for home. I was interested in seeing if I could keep my average from dropping too much over the next 44 miles, but decided to focus on my effort level rather than obsessing over the numbers. When I arrived home, a quick check of my bike computer showed that my overall average for 54.5 miles was still 20.2...woo hoo! My legs felt surprisingly fresh as I went out for a 10k brick run, and again, I decided against looking at my watch and just tried to run an even effort. When all was said and done, "somehow" (shout out to Tiffany :) I averaged sub-8s on my run. I won't lie and say it was easy, but I managed to get through it ok. It was when I stopped that I started to fall apart. For the rest of the night, I was totally wasted. It was all I could do to eat a bean and turkey burrito, and then find my way to bed. It was an exhausting day, but looking back, it was definitely a confidence booster.

After a glorious off day Friday, on Saturday I woke up early and met (crazy) Joe for a long run. We tried to get out early, because the forecast for the day was highs near 90. Now that's what I'm talking about!! Lets get a few more weeks of heat! Andy was nice enough to get up early and head out on her bike with us, to be our mobile aid station. We ran the reverse of the BLT loop, thinking that since its easier that way on the bike, it must make for an "easier" run. Uh, not so much. I worked a bit on some downhill running techniques that Joe and Steve have been showing me, but I still felt like I was painfully slow on the descents. My legs really started to feel it with about 4 miles to go, and by the time we hit the last 3, the heat was on and I was toast. It was a major-league struggle to not walk during that last 5k, but fortunately Joe (he, of the sub-48 Bloomsday) took pity on me and didn't dust me too badly. I suspect that he was waiting for me, but it was nice motivation not to slack off and finish the run. Afterward, I knew that an ice bath would seriouly help my recovery and aid my legs in getting through my planned ride the next day. They are never fun, but I am a big believer in ice baths. This one was no different....brrrrrr and no fun at all!

Saturday afternoon, Andy and I cleaned the house in anticipation of our friend Lisa's arrival, who was visiting us for a few days from Germany. We hadn't seen Lisa since she left Spokane last July, and it promised to be a crazy fun weekend of catching up. Saturday night, we hosted a fun BBQ dinner with Lisa, her sister and Zach and Jen. Way fun!!

Sunday morning, I again got up early and picked up Kirk and Joe just after 8am, and we headed out to CDA to do a long bike workout on the course. My plan was to do about 80-90m, and get in the Higgens Point section in for the first time this year. After a nice warmup, Kirk left Joe and I in the dust (as planned) as we hit the northern/hilly part of the course. I was feeling surprisingly good through the first 40 miles, especially considering my hard run yesterday. We stopped at a gas station in Hayden so Joe could get some more water, then we spun around and headed out to hit the northern part of the loop again. Literally within the span of 5 miles, POOF!! My legs went totally dead. Later, Joe commented how he saw it all happen and how surprising it was to watch. I don't ever recall a feeling like that, having it all come apart so fast. It was very strange. After I slowed the pace way down, I decided I really needed to tackle the 2 big hills for a second time, so I gutted it out for a few more miles. At the next opportunity, however, we cut the loop short and headed back to CDA. The last 10 miles, we were heading into a fairly good headwind, so I pretty much just pedaled really easy and cruised it on in. The weird thing about the last part of the ride was this: in the past, in this situation, I would have become very frustrated and angry at the state of things. But today, I just sort of let it go, and decided, hey, it just isn't going to happen today. Incredibly, the headwind didn't even get to me! Now, while I won't call this a breakthrough, it was a good opportunity for me to practice staying positive (or, rather, not get negative) on the bike. Because, who knows, I may have very similar conditions on race day. So what would have been a frustrating day, actually turned into a good day. So what if I didn't get my 90 miles in? Actually, when I mapped it out, I realized that I had made it 70, which made me feel even better! We ended up finishing before Kirk, and he graciously postponed his planned run so we could hit the road and get home. But not before we made a stop at Paul Bunyan's for milkshakes. I got a large....or, more like a GALLON!!! It was damn good though :)

Sunday evening, I headed up to Deer Lake w/ the Tri Fusion Kids Race crew to plan and scout the course. It was a super-fun time, and we made a ton of great progress toward pulling off what I truly believe will be an awesome event. The highlight for me was when we took over one corner of the World Famous Clayton Burger and spread out all of our papers to talk and plan more while we ate. We definitely got some funny looks from the "locals", because we were all totally engrossed in "talking tri". I am fairly certain that it sounded like we were speaking a totally different language. We were definitely "in the zone" :)

Monday was supposed to be an off day, but Steve has somehow figured out that it is pretty easy for him to talk me into a run no matter what my schedule says. What is more, this time he crafted this sneaky little 6m, kick-me-in-the-ass workout. Now, of course I had every opportunity to back out and just do a 10k recovery run, but, come on...would I ever do that?!? :) No way!! So, I suffered through Steve's hard-ass tempo run, and only got beat by about 1 mile. Not bad, considering what I had done the past few days. Seriously, though, it was a freaking awesome workout, and I'm really glad that I didn't bow to the inner voice begging me to wuss out. Later in the evening, we rewarded ourselves by consuming massive amounts of Coldstone, all in record time.

Tuesday I finally allowed my body some recovery, as I decided just to do an easy swim. I did a descending mile with the EWU Tri guys, and as predicted, my time wasn't anything to shout about. But I was (again) totally ok with it, all things considered.

I am really looking forward to this weekend, as it is my first race of the season, OnionMan Olympic down in Walla Walla. I'm curious to see how my body responds to the higher volume of training I've been doing, and I think it will be interesting to see if I still remember how to put on a wetsuit. I think the last time I had it on (and, curiously, the last time I swam in open water) was last August....uh oh :) Either way, it should be a fun time.

4 comments:

Trish said...

Timmers, this is a great post! I am in awe of your workouts from the past weekend, I totally identify with the inner voice calling you to wimp out, and I am jealous of all the ice cream you have been eating lately :)

I am excited for you to do your first race this weekend! You are going to do AWESOME! I will be sending good race day thoughts to you this weekend! I can't wait to see how you do! Good luck friend!

Tiffany said...

Well it looks like you've kicked your case of the blahs! I'm very inspired by your awesome attitude, even when things didn't quite go as planned. I think you had a great outlook in that situation! And of course, no post by Tim would be complete without the "somehow" moment. :)

You are going to rock Onion Man this weekend! Just remember that putting a wet suit on is a workout in itself. I kind of forgot about that the first time I put mine on this year. You might want to take a gel before you start the process! ;)

Good luck! I'll be thinking of you and eagerly anticipating your results!

jessithompson said...

Tim,

First, it was great to see you this weekend and get all that awesome planning done for the kids tri. In true A+ form, you brought great ideas and insight into planning the event. You are definitely an asset to the group!!!

I just want to tell you that your effort inspires me immensely, but it pales in comparison to your attitude. It's so easy to get down or bummed and focus on what isn't instead of what is... I think that is a HUGE mental edge in Ironman. HUGE! I think that kind of stress during a race zaps precious energy and only hurts you.

Can't wait to rally with you this weekend in Wally World!

Matt said...

great workouts tim, sounds like a EPIC few days.