Tuesday, April 15, 2008

BLT #2

Today was our second Bike Loop Tuesdays, and we hosted this one...which really came down to offering up our street for parking :) A really good group turned out, and I was happy to see some new faces (Kim, Jeff, Trevor) and some faces I hadn't seen in awhile (Kathi). I think there were about 16 or so of us out there. I always wonder what other people on the roads are thinking when they come around a corner and see 15-20 cyclists spinning down the road...what the heck, is the Tour de France in town or something??? Secretly, I always feel pretty darn cool being part of a group that gets weird or envious looks :)
The first 2/3 of the loops we took pretty easy, just chatting and (for me) spinning the legs out. I got a bit farther up Death Hill 1 in the saddle, which was nice because I always use my ability to climb Death Hills 1 and 2 seated vs. standing as a barometer of my overall fitness. Last week, my first time on them, I was up almost immediately after they started. This week...a little better! Once we hit AL White Parkway, the hammer dropped and I found myself hanging on for dear life to the back of the paceline. I made it, and while there was no way in heck I was going to be able to move up to do any pulling, it was still fun to be bombing along the road at those speeds.
After a quick rest stop back at the house, we headed out for loop 2. I was praying that we'd keep the pace easy again, knowing what was coming for tomorrow, and the group nicely obliged. Steve and I challenged eachother to see if we could make it up Death Hill 1 seated, and while it was a struggle, I made it. That made me pretty happy...second loop of the day, which means I should not be as fresh, but I did better that round 1. Just goes to show you what a little motivation does! As a side note, Steve again put me in my place, as he did the hill IN AERO!!! Damn...I've never been able to do that...ever. Death Hill 2 came around and here we went again...2 for 2 seated on the second loop! Sweet!! The hammer dropped again as we hit the golf course, and I managed it ok. I even pulled out to lead for a bit, but that extra effort meant I was unable to pull the group up to the lead 3. I almost got there, but one moment of hesitation, and it was all over. Still, once the rest of us got linked up, we didn't let them get too far away. I'm really enjoying riding in pacelines, and I can feel my confidence with tight-quarters riding increasing. Overall, it was a fun 32 miles.
After, Steve and I hung around for awhile deciding what post-ride food reward we had earned, and we decided on some ice cream at Maggie Moo's. Poor Steve had to ride up the hill home, so I scarfed down some quick dinner, then headed out to meet up w/ him. Andy joined us as I was finishing up a kick-ass milkshake, then it was crash-city when my head hit the pillow. All in all, a pretty darn good day!!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

Nice work, Timmers! Sounds like you are riding really strong this year. I can't wait to join in on one of these rides so that I can eat your dust! :)

Steve said...

The loops were awesome. We will dominate those hills so enough. Great job in pulling and the next one will be even better. Whats the next after BLT spot?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for hosting last week Tim! It was a beautiful afternoon for a wondeful ride! Way to go on those death hills! My goal is to make it up death hill 1 someday period :) Keep up the good work friend! You rocked it!